Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Unhappy at work? Considered changing careers? // Tues. 14 Nov, 7pm AEDT

Career Chat.jpg

Everyone experiences stress in the workplace, but when the stress starts to impact cognitive functioning and our ability to maintain a well balanced and healthy lifestyle, we may start to consider our future direction.

Changing careers at any point in our lives can seem difficult. We do not know our own capabilities, realise our strength and potential in other types of work and might be scared to follow our own passions.

This topic discusses and shares stories on how we can realise our true values, own our passions and make the confident step to being honest with ourselves and change jobs. But how do we do it?

Hit the 'Like' button below to get a reminder email on the night.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Career Chat // Unhappy at work? Considered changing careers? // Tues. 14 Nov, 7pm AEDT

Not happy at work – consider changing careers?

The job was the vessel to preserve & maintain our lifestyle, it was who, what we aspired to be.  To follow or be that success story, we blindly took this as a requirement to our journey. We never took in consideration what this role is doing to our health, family or just the fact that what I spend my life triumphing is not inspiring me anymore.

I was in in the building industry for 30 odd years; I was constantly travelling weeks at time from one dead line to the next. As this took its toll in my relationships, family and health I lost who I was and felt I had no passion or commitment I felt hollow and very alone.

So my health made me  change, I started in sales which was a convertible skill this gave me back my hunger to achieve results again. I found purpose understood that a career change was a possibility and looked at different opportunities I worked in retail, commercial sales of tobacco products.

And then four years ago I came across a position of Employment Consultant in Disability Services, this is my story and through this forum I may discuss my journey.

My belief is whilst I have built many amazing objects; I now assist in building individuals to achieve their goals.

Re: Career Chat // Unhappy at work? Considered changing careers? // Tues. 14 Nov, 7pm AEDT

I was forced to resign from my past workplace, as they did not want to work with someone with a mental illness and bullied me into resigning (discrimination much?). I used to work in a laboratory of a major hospital. I am now considering going into the field of social work. I have a long road of study ahead of me, I know. Am I being realistic in my goals? I am almost 40, so by the time I actually start working (presuming I find a graduate job straight out of Uni), I'll only have 15-20 years worth of employment before I hit retirement. 

Hi, @OstaraAust,
Thanks for your post. It sounds like you have ended up in the perfect position for you. I don’t know if you help me but I’m going to put it out there. I’ve been on dsp for a long tine. It’s one of my highest priorities to get off and become independent. I was homeless at 12 and was on a young homeless allowance then.
I currently work as a commission only real estate agent. I like it because I work from home and it suits my Bipolar Disorder Type 1.
I have trouble working in an office environment as I’m overly sensitive and the highs and lows with anxiety makes it difficult.
I basically work very hard for free as as I spend more money on the business then what I earn. I do it to feel like I’m cobtributing and try to hide the fact I’m on a pension.
I desperatly want to be off the pension. I’m ashamed to be on it. I live behind the curtain because if my clients knew I had bipolar they would not list with me.
I have heaps of ideas due to the bipolar highs. I wish I could get paid from the government to assist government and non-profit organisations with those ideas. It would be just like Changing me from the pension to a paid custom position to help others.....I have so many ideas and at certain times can be productive.
What do you think? Would the government consider something like this?

Hi @Queenie,
I’m sorry to hear you are treated that way and had to resign from your job. I think it’s wonderful that you ha e an idea of what you want to do. 20 years to start something new is a long time, sobIcwoukd definitely follow your heart and do what it is that you want to do.
Sometimes and definitely for me that is my hardest challenge ..... knowing what and if I can do.
Please keep me posted on what you do if you like💗

I apologise how long it has taken to respond.

Remember life is to short, to live in hope that it may get better.

Look at it this way if you find the pathway to your new career it only goes one way forward, you may trip you may struggle but you have  Values that you must never forget.

I decide who I am, I will be positive and achieve my dream with my values.

I may fail but I will never quit, you are never to old.

Thanks

Please do not feel shame for you have so much to give, there are many work from home options today in this digital world we live in.

Your role in realestate is this a sales based or Administration position.

Hi @OstaraAust, thank you for your message. I work in sales and I do the admin.
Do you work full time?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us