Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Supporting a partner in a crisis

Can I ever so gently remind you that we sometimes put unnecessary pressure on ourselves.--- that is very very true @Former-Member for all of us

hugs @JacquesHeartHeart

Hi @Shaz51 @Former-Member,

yesterday was a tough day, but i mannaged to keep her safe, i bought her some flowers last night so i hope they help her thoughts, she seems ok today, so i am happy. 

thank you for the reminders @Shaz51 @Former-Member sometimes it is eas yto forget to care for myself

hugs to both of you 

Jacques

That is very thoughtful of you @Jacques, I do not recall seeing any flowers when Mr D was an inpatient.

What have you got planned for yourself today?

hi @Former-Member, yes everyone at the mhu was going oo and aaah over the flowers, she felt so special and i am so happy i could bring her a little joy. 

sorry i didn't reply yesterday, i was so tired i slept, im not much better today, so i might just rest today too.

i hope you are going well. thank you for thinking about me and my partner.

Jacques

@Jacques

Yes, it can be very tiring when our loved ones are going through a tough time.

Being intentional about getting back to basics at times like these - adequate nutrition, sleep hygiene, getting the much needed hair cut ...

What are you planning on having for tea?

Darcy

PS I did hear that if one keeps harping on it doesn't make one an angel .... I like to refer to 'consistent accountability' ... you may of course see it as nagging ... meant to be gentle encouragement, we all know what we SHOULD do (and yes at times I do fail miserably)

Wow I must be developing Alzheimers because I cannot figure out how to start a new conversation on this forum. Can anyone help.

My wife is seriously ill and deteriorating with Type 2 diabetes and the docotors want to see her urgently, she is adamant she will not see them because she thinks that they are all lay people who are not real doctors . Her main gripe is that everyone she sees gives her a new diagnosis and different medication and consequently she has lost faith in them. And thinks that she is better off not seeing anyone or taking any medication. 

How would you as Carers deal with a situation like this?

hi @Zorro, that is a tricky one, i have an aunt with Pschzophrenia and thinks doctors have a conspiracy against her, all you can do is offer her support, and keep encouraging her, and seek help from doctors to get her the care she needs. unfortunately you can't force someone to go to the doctors, i just hope she ghets the care she needs in time, Diabeties is a very dangerous disease if not treated correctly.

sorry i am not giving you a good answer. but you can get support here anytime 🙂

Jacques

Hey @Zorro

I am not sure how the LEAP method translates into getting a patient to get treatment but I will tag you in a talk about loss of insight that is referred to in this carer resource.

http://mhr4c.com.au/coping-strategies/the-leap-approach/

@Jacques
How are things with you?

Hey @Jacques @Zorro
How are you going?
Darcy

Quick check in @Jacques @Zorro
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us