Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Stuck for Ideas while we wait for Spectrum

Hey there @Staycalm

It sounds incredibly tough supporting your daughter through her distress, the limits of the mental health system, and the financial costs cropping up. It sounds like you were in a crisis period earlier in the year, how are things going now?

@Shell17 it sounds like you can really relate, I'm so sorry to hear that a long hospital admission was not helpful for your daughter. That must have been devastating. Thank you also for acknowledging that while this was your family's experience, hospitals, professionals, and experiences of long admissions do vary for different people.

Thinking of you both 🌻

Hi @Staycalm ,

I know your initial post was in February, but thought I could add my two cents worth.

Your situation sounds very turbulent. I hear your distress in seeing your beloved daughter slowly vanishing before your eyes.

I've had BPD for over 15 years. I had many hospital admissions but they were purely to keep me safe for a day or so, then I was back out. Hospital admissions have been extremely detrimental to my recovery. Borderlines need talking therapy. This takes time.

My psychotherapy was aided by medication. Medication in itself does not help BPD, but it does alleviate the symptoms of insomnia, depression and anxiety that may come with BPD. Unless these other symptoms are under control, it is very hard for a borderline to reach out for help. Therapy for BPD will NOT work unless the individual wants CHANGE. Spectrum therapy focuses on developing a change in mindset. I have been through Spectrum - 18 months, twice a week. It was intense. It was gruelling. But I was ready to put in the hard work. In my 30s, I was sick of myself. I was sick of my emotional turmoil. Only then did I realise I WAS READY FOR CHANGE.

I have private health insurance, and always have, however, I choose to go through the public system. The public system has been phenomenal, but only because I was ready to change. I cannot emphasise this enough. At 19 years of age, I was not ready. I was even rejected by private clinics because my self-harm risk was too high (sounds absurd?). They would have known I was not ready to change.

Does your daughter have a case manager? Case-managed patients are prioritised by Spectrum....waiting time of even a week before assessment! If you are financially vulnerable, Centrelink will be a huge help. Your daughter may not be able to get a payment, but a Health Care Card makes a HUGE difference to price of medication and ambulances are also covered. If you don't want to do that, then consider becoming a member of Ambulance Victoria. It is super cheap in comparison to copping a $1200 ambulance bill each time.

Take Care.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @Staycalm

I just wanted to reach out and offer some support.

I'm so sorry to hear about your distress and the emotional challenges that you and your family have been experiencing. It really does sound like a turbulent roller coaster ride of emotions and experiences.

I know you posted a little while ago and so what I've shared may not be helpful for you, but I thought that I would reach out anyway - just in case Smiley Happy

I've never had private health insurance and so unfortunately, I can't share any personal experiences around this.

I was thinking about the financial challenges that you shared and I just wondered if you have considered contacting Centrelink (or visiting their website) to see if you're eligible to receive the Carer Payment and / or the Carer Allowance?

The Carer Payment is an income support payment that supports people who are providing constant care for a person who has a severe disability or an illness. The Carer Allowance is an income support payment that supports people who are providing additional daily care for a person who has a severe disability or an illness.

Depending on your circumstances, some families are eligible to receive both of these payments.

Your daughter may also be eligible to receive a Disability Support Payment which is also through Centrelink.

Completing the paperwork can definitely be a daunting and exhausting process! From what I understand, the application process can now be completed online, which may make this a little easier.

It's great that your daughter currently uses a Mental Health Care Plan to help with some of the costs associated with attending Therapy. Although unfortunately, 10 subsidised appointments are just not enough to help with the costs associated with longer term therapy - which is what so many people desperately need.

I just wondered if you were aware of the Chronic Disease Management Plan (it use to be called The Enhanced Primary Care Plan). It's something that your GP can complete and (if your daughter meets the eligibility criteria) it may mean that she can access an additional 5 allied health appointments (Psychology is one of the disciplines covered) per calendar year which will also attract a Medicare rebate.

Thinking of you at this time and sending gentle hugs ...

ShiningStar

@ShiningStar 

Thanks for sharing these details. It certainly does help.

Cheers,

BPDSurvivor 

Hi @BPDSurvivor 

You're welcome! I'm so pleased that you found this helpful Smiley Happy

Take care ...

ShiningStar

Hi Shell17, I'm very sorry you've had this experience. I know the lockdown and pandemic are making things harder but hope you and your family are doing OK.

Sorry I haven't been back to post for a while but it's been a very difficult year so far.

Just a few of the things we were struggling with include the sudden death of my father the day after my mum had a stroke, having to put down a beloved elderly dog, my daughter got herself a job which she then lost two weeks after she started due to lockdown restrictions. I have been trying to manage all the probate details and funeral details, while at the same time trying to sort out what will happen with Mum as she can't return home. It's been a nightmare.

We are seeing my daughter's mental health slowly decline, with an increase of self harm, disordered sleep, disordered eating and medication refusal. She had worked very hard with her GP to try to acquire Centrelink payments. Refused both times after a nightmare process. She had done so well to apply, interview and start her new job only to see it taken away.

She is pushing to be admitted to hospital because she want to "be away" from all the negative stuff happening at home so we're feeling stuck again. We are so thankful that we can get her more Medicare covered appointments but her psychologist is so booked out it is taking over a month to get in a phone consult, even being on the cancellation list.

I will look into some of the suggestions people have made on this thread and I really appreciate the advice and the sharing of stories. Heartfelt thank yous xxx

@Staycalm it sounds like it's been such a difficult year for you indeed Smiley Sad

I can hear that you have a lot of practical responsibilities but at the same time are in the process of grieving your father. I'm sorry to hear how COVID has impacted your daughter's job and ability to access her supports. I'm sure it would have been so hard for you to see her go through the process of getting a job, only to lose it shortly after starting. I hope things start to feel more manageable for you soon!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us