Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

bean
Senior Contributor

Struggling

With all that is going wrong in my life and the major struggles I’m finding myself wanting so self harm. I have been self harm free for a while and I swear it’s due to my meds that I am now coming off of it’s like they took the urges away as well as keeping me some what stable.

I don’t want to ruin my self harm free run but the urges to are winning and I’m so wanting to.

Does anyone else understand my screwed up mind?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Struggling

I understand @bean
Can I help?

I’m not sure @Mulgajane

I used to self harm so I understand the urge and the relief and the guilt and the shame afterwards.

Hey @bean, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling today. Well done on the self harm free stretch, I imagine that was quite a challenge. It sounds like you might have been using some other strategies for managing difficult thoughts and emotions during that time. Can you remember what they were? I understand that the medication might have kept some of those thoughts at bay, but I wonder if there was some input from you as well?

hi @bean are there any mindfulness clases near you. they are free to attend.

Hi @Acacia

My strategies of coping in the past were holding onto ice or placing it on a part of my body I wanted to self harm on, drawing on my skin with markers or having hair ties on my wrist and flicking them over and over.

These things that have worked in the past just don't seem to be affective lately, and the more I'm trying not too cave in the more intense it is making them feeling of needing too.

Hi @jovial
I honestly have no idea, but with my anxiety levels at an all time highI doubt I could get myself there if there were such a thing near me

From what I gather it is a balancing act ... keeping the dose high enough to reduce urges and low enough to live a life.  I have gone up and down over the years in my attempt to manage it.  Maybe slow down your med reduction ...?  with supervision.

Heart

My med reduction has been over the past 8 weeks, my first reduction seemed to go ok-ish but the next one which is what I am at now isn't good, it has come at a really crappy time with everything in my life crumbling with out my normal dose it seems to exacerbate everything so much more than it probably would if fully medicated.
I'm having to come off it for the moment due to other health related problems and treatments needing done, but I'm unsure if I'm going to be able to stick it out
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us