Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Anonym11
Casual Contributor

Hopelessness

I am international student here in Australia who graduated last December but have not been able to find a job yet. I am here relying on others. I feel like I have no dignity left, like I am a leech. Even during my university years, I worked hard like everyone else, if not more. Being single and moving to a new country at an age of 18 wasn't easy, yet I convinced myself that it will be worth it. But now 6 months past my course, with all my friends already working, here I am jobless. I feel like I have failed in life. I feel hopeless. There were times when I used to feel overwhelmed and would cry in darkness but those ugly emotions somehow made me feel alive. Now, I feel hollow and empty. I used to think as long as you give your best, God will never disappoint you. But how wrong I was. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Hopelessness

Hey @Anonym11, I'm really sorry to hear what you're struggling with at the moment. It sounds so painful not being where you thought you would be right now. I can imagine it's really lonely too so I am glad you have reached out here. The forums are a really supportive peer community, so I'm sure you will find some wisdom and connection here. Also feel free to check out our Community Guidelines to get a sense of how things work. 

Lastly, I'm going to send you an email to check in if you need any off forum support too. But please keep reaching out here too, as peer connection is important 🌻

Hi @Anonym11 and welcome to the forums.

Please feel free to look around. Just a note,if you would like tag a member just put a @ infront of their name.

You will find lots of support here and I am sure more members will coe on board soon.

Take care 💛

Hi @Anonym11 

It is very hard being away from family at that age. I applaud you for moving to another country while so young to get a good education. I am very sorry to hear you don't have a job yet. 
You are probably about half my age I would say so you have a lot of years ahead of you that will have hills to climb. Climbing the hill is the hardest but once at the peak you can decide to go down the other side or even do a 360 and go back the way you came. Your choices are limitless.

Try to think of this period as part of your climb and that you will reach the peak.

I don't know where you live or what you studied but consider - do you have to live where you are or do you have to take a job in your chosen profession straight away. Look at other options and give yourself a break. Don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe talking with a psychologist might help you never know unless you try. 

I have applied for jobs in every nooks but all I ever get is a 'sorry you have been unsuccessful' mail. I wish I could take a break but with my visa and stuff, I just can't afford doing that. 😔

@Anonym11  Just dropping in to say hi. Wondering how you are doing at the moment.

I am posting here again to share this good news. I have finally been offered full time job. My patience and hard work has been paid off. Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement. I need to say this, having a space to share my thoughts during such low times in my life has been a big help. And from my experience all I have to say is that you just need to hang in there and things will eventually work out. 🙂 

Anonym11,
Good on you, Amazing news. Such an important message.
Dockers6

@Anonym11  Thankyou for sharing such good news.

Your post had a hopeful feel about it. So pleased things have worked out for you.

All the very best for your future. 💞💞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us