Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dixiegirl
Casual Contributor

Help with younger brother

Hi everyone,

I've never joined anything like this before....but I'm after a bit of advice about getting help for my younger (25yo) brother.

He has suffered depression/anxiety for quite a few years now (that I know of) I'm not sure how long it had been going on before that!

I have tried so many times to reach out to him but he just doesn't want to get help, or he will tell me that he wants to and then won't do anything about it. I have offered to take him to any appointments he might need, even offered to pay for them....I've explained if he doesn't want to speak to someone professional straight away then I will always listen. I've tried to take him out, I've tired to always keep in contact with him, I've always tried to include him....I just don't know what to do anymore and I'm starting to get really worried about him....He has told me that in the past he has though about suicide!

He self destructs by using alcohol/drugs and I have an awful feeling that he might be getting into some heavy stuff!! He has never been able to hold down a steady job and is currently living at home with my mum.
She doesn't know what to do anymore either....
He can be really hard to deal with at times!

If anyone has any tips or suggestions on what I should do I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance x

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Help with younger brother

Have you spoken to a lifeline counsellor? 13 11 14

Alternatively, you can speak to a psychologist/psychiatrist over the phone... they may be able to give you good advice on how to approach this situation.

I remember when my sister tried to get help with me it didn't matter what she said, cause of the simple fact she was my big sister... It's a really vicious cycle of arrogance and ignorence. This mixed with feelings of hopelessness, etc what your little brother is just heartbreaking, he probably thinks he doesn't deserve the help or hasn't got it in him to do it.

You need to do something, so i'm glad you've taken a step in the right direction.

Try and get him to do healthy stuff like going for a run and eating right, he should be thankful he has a roof over his head at the moment.

Best of luck,

Chaos.

Hi @Dixiegirl. How have things gone over the past week? Have there been any changes with your brother? He's lucky to have you looking out for him.

On our website here we have some tips on getting help for a friend/family member experiencing mental health issues. We also have some information here about helpful ways to encourage someone to seek treatment. 

Also, supporting a loved one through mental illness can be challenging, so please make sure you are taking care of yourself as well.

Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Hi,

Sorry for the very delayed response...for some reason I never saw these!! 

I havnt spoken to a counsellor but I think that is the next step...

He has actually got a lot worse since the last time I wrote on here!!!

But he has seen a Dr and has now started taking medication so that is a step in the righy direction I guess! But in saying that he has also gone downhill very quickly!! 

We are all so worried about him! I just feel sick thinking that he might try and hurt himself! 

We love him so much but just don't know what to do 😢 

Hi @Dixiegirl. Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. Just an FYI, if you start typing @, a drop down list will appear and you can tag other members. This way they get a notification and will know you have replied to them Smiley Happy

Good to hear that your brother has linked in with some professional support. Sometimes when people start taking medication it can actually make their symptoms worse before they get better. It sounds like you are so worried about him. Here is a website with some tips on how to talk to someone who may be having thoughts of suicide. If he doesn't feel comfortable talking with you about this, there are helplines he can call: Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467), Lifeline (13 11 14), and The Samaritans (135 247).

Best of luck and hope you see some improvement soon! Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us