Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Five lies my illness tells me...

i have so many proofs for how i feel/think and then other people (counsellors) dispute these and say that im too harsh on myself or that its experiences that have taught me to think in wrong ways but to me it still feels like truth and i have so many examples and experiences that match what i think/feel. so hard. 

I get what you're saying @Snowie
It's a struggle at times

I completely get what you're saying there @Snowie When we believe our thoughts, they don't feel at all like lies. In fact, they feel as true as anything else inthe world. 

There's this thing they say in psychology about reality testing beliefs and that can help some people to identify the "lies" from the "truths". That strategy works for some, but for others, it isn't enough to change the belief.

I tend to see thoughts as being separate to ourselves. Kind of like imagining our thoughts as clouds passing in the sky, they come and go. Whether we believe or don't believe the thoughts is about the relationship we have to the thoughts (if that makes sense).

I really like the idea of noticing and accepting, as @frog mentioned. Perhaps a question we could ask ourselves when we're stuck in particular types of thoughts is not "is this thought true?", but rather, "Is it helpful for me to keep listening to this thought?" 🤔

I understand @Former-Member. Hope you're doing ok. Been thinking of you and your children. Xxoo

Why do the feels win? I agree with @Former-Member. I find it hard to accept and move past the logic when the feelings are so strong. 

I had a session the other week where I discussed what I had written on the forum at the time and it felt like my 'truth'. The next day I was so ashamed of writing same said thing and wondered how I could have written it and believed it so intensely. I felt like a liar and felt like I had no integrity at all. I looked up the post in therapy that day to discuss it because I was feeling so messed up over it and re reading it there and then it felt like my 'truth' and honesty again. I felt like such a fool but it shows how things are hard to find a way through that I can trust. If I’m like this how are others supposed to trust me? 

I have tried the cloud idea. Putting my thoughts on a cloud and letting them drift away. Putting them on a wave and letting them wash out back to sea. My thoughts are like a boomerang, always coming back to me. 

It isn't helpful to listen to the thoughts. I try and tell myself not too, but I get to the point where I believe them and act on them. My psych tells me I don't have to act on them. 

I am not sure what would help me with these thoughts. Perhaps with learning more tools I can dispute them or perhaps they will win in the end.

@Margot What an interesting question ... I find that it is not lies so to speak the mi has changed how I think and who I am. The person that I once was lets say 20 years ago is gone now I am a shell of my former self.

Really interesting questions and responses.

Lies for me are things like:

I'm not good enough
I should have done better/more/tried harder
I will never get better
Things will always be the same
It's not worth it

Lies often contain big statement words like always, never, forever, nothing, everything.

One of the most helpful ways to recognise lies for me is that they are not things I believe about others. "Is this what I would think or say about/to someone else?" can be a helpful question. It can also start a whole new cycle of being hard on myself for being hard on myself though :face_with_rolling_eyes:

I really like the idea of asking whether it's helpful to keep listening to those thoughts. It's hard to move on from them sometimes/often though.

Emotions can absolutely change the way we think @Former-Member @Teej and persuade us that our thoughts are facts. Almost in a way where we look at the world through "depression glasses" or "anxiety glasses" - without even recognising we have those glases on. I wonder what it would be like to notice when we're wearing those glasses, see if we can try and take them off, and look at the thoughts adn feelings, rather than through them?

Good on you for giving that a go @Snowie And you're so right, that particualr thoughts can be a bit like boomerangs. I like what your psych suggested there, and they're so right - just because we have a thought, doesn't make it true and doesn't mean we need to act on it. It sound's like talking to your psych might be just the thing that will continue to help moving forward. 

MI does have the ability to completely shake up our view of ourselves and the world @greenpea How do you differentiate between "you" and MI?

That's so true @CheerBear, so many of the lies do start with those catastrophising type statements. When we feel overehwlmed, our minds are good at generating those kinds of thoughts too. What a great strategy, to ask yourself the question about whether it would apply to others - we're always our own worst critics! It can be a good way to step out of that cycle when you see it coming ahead of time. 

MI does have the ability to completely shake up our view of ourselves and the world @greenpea How do you differentiate between "you" and MI?

@Margot Hi Margot truth is I can't any more. My mi and I are one now. I don't know whether that is the schizo or the bp1 but I am just one with the mi. I think because it has probably crept up over the years without me noticing until I became totally psychotic. Sad but true.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us