Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

CL1
New Contributor

5 weeks - pnd

Hi just wanted to hear how others have coped in the early days with their newborn.

My baby is almost 5 weeks and this is my second week alone with her husband has gone back to work. He has been great support but now that I’m alone at home I feel lonely and bit overwhelmed by everything. I didn’t think I would feel this way I was really looking forward to being a Mum now I feel like I’ve lost myself and feel apprehensive about the next year or more being a stay at home Mum. I don’t know if I feel cut out for it.

We have a lot of family support but I think I’m just feeling low. I think I may be having pnd but some days I feel great others I feel deflated.

Just looking for other people’s experiences and ways to deal with this better?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: 5 weeks - pnd

Hi @CL1 welcome to the boards and congratulations on your baby :). When I had my children I had post and pre natal depression and it was very different back then it wasnt well known and was quite hidden away. My first stop was and I think for you would be your trusted gp. He or she will be able to point you in the right direction regarding organizations and mothers groups etc. It is great that you are aware of this so quickly and are actively doing something about  it before it goes too far down the track. 

Also Google is your friend in this case I would also be asking your nurse when you go in for check ups of baby as you are definately not alone. Good luck and wishing you well for the future. gp

tulip14.jpg

Flowers for you as new mum. @CL1

It is the most intense time for any woman.  I echo @greenpea's suggestions and go gently with your self.  New babes and new mother's need care.

Hi there @CL1 - how are you travelling now? You mentioned you were wondering about PND - did you ever chat to a doctor or someone else about it?

I wanted to let you know that tonight PANDA (Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia) are going to be our guests here on the forums. Some of their volunteer peer supporters are coming a long and we will be chatting right here on the forums - talking about about being a new parent and some of the struggles you have described here. We'd love to have you along - just head over to this thread at 7pm AEDT.. Hope to see you..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us