Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Neb
Senior Contributor

Music

I love music, as do many people. Different music for different moods. My current favourite, which I loop and this is ok as I live alone is " music for a found harmonium". I also love drumming, there is a nifty YouTube piece with a youth banging about in Sydney....best street drummer I think it is called. Didgeridoo music resonates on my bones, it is really grounding. One of the joys of having wooden floors is you can feel the music through the soles of your feet. Just a few things I like.....
49 REPLIES 49
CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Re: Music

Hi Neb,

What a fun post! I love music too. Do you have certain genres/musicians for different moods or activities? I like Xavier Rudd, Jack Johnson when I'm feeling mellow, Digtalism when I'm cleaning the house, and Ninch Inch Nails if I had a rough day. 

I find music helps to both tap into and release emotions. What about you?

Neb
Senior Contributor

Hi CherryBomb....what a cool nickname! I have NEVER heard of the people you had mentioned in your post, but You Tube is fabulous for finding out more. I suspect there is a significant difference in ages...not to worry.
You are right about tapping into music in order to release pent up emotions.

I use to cry very readily over stuff usually on the news, but it is HARD to cry when you know it will help ease the pain inside. I just need to play a Sarah Brightman song....Time to say Goodbye....she sings it, I don't know who wrote it, by it turns on the waterworks for me.

My brother is trying to get me interested in a German band called " Ramstein", and other funky dunky cwazy music. Music is such a personal thing eh...I love Baroque music and madrigals. My first album I ever brought was a double album that cost me $11.00....., Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night".......that gives away my age eh?.

Do you use music to sort of hypnotise or induce a trance state? I do so occasionly!

Ha! Funny how music can give away our age. I've not heard of Sarah Brightman, will look her up though. Always on the prowl for new music. I have heard of Ramstein. Also, I've also had friends trying to get me into them. I'm afraid they just don't float my boat! You're right, music is a very personal thing. My first album was Alanis Morissette! It was a CD - give away my age? Smiley Wink

But music need not be a devide. When I was travelling through Spain a few years back, I worked on a farm where no one spoke a word of English, and my Spanish only consisted of a few basic words. Anyway, I ended up connecting with a few people making music together. Was such a wonderfully magical experience. It certainly got me into a hypnotic trance state with others whom I couldn't even talk to! Smiley Very Happy

kato
Senior Contributor

Now music is definately a fun topic,

I have a massively diverse music range, my scope goes from old time Jazz, through to new age techno beats, i find it is not neccesarily the lyrics that i love but the backing music, the strum of a bass guitar or the tantalising digital effects,

I do have to be very careful as to what i listen to when doing certain things, if i listen to techno style music or rap when i drive it trigger's my mania and i have to change to something more easy listening to calm myself, or if i am feeling low and play some smashing pumpkins a couple of there songs can get me in a downward spiral,

It amuses me as to how music affects me, but i know that if i'm low a hard hitting bass backed track will quickly turn me around and i'm up, but i do have to wary, my favorite track is Tusk by Fleetwood Mac, such a fantastic build up for a song.

like i said my diverse taste in music is basically anything, if i find a backing beat fun, i can't stand the song but the beat to let me take a selfie makes me laugh, not sure how to finish this but music is a great mood changer, sometimes for the better sometimes not, thankfully i have become aware of what is good to turn me around.

Neb
Senior Contributor

I adored Tusk by Fleetwood Mack....it does thrum.....also Pink Floyd had music of that ilk, more in the earlier stuff, IMHO. Was anyone into punk?

I was burgalled when house sharing. The toe rags too the cd collections of ours. It would have been tough flogging off the Jazz collection of my house mate and the Madrigal collection of mine....
kato
Senior Contributor

@Neb can you name a few punk bands,
I like floyd but am not too sure as to punk bands from that era or newer but have possibly heard and like them
Neb
Senior Contributor

Kato....the stuff I liked in the age of punk were The Stranglers, Nina Hagen, some of The Sex Pistols stuff, and some group I cannot recall at the moment. This is the time I was a teenager/ young adult, with attitude, and seriously messed up in the head. I also love The Doors, Laurie Anderson etc, etc, etc. I regret my tendency to off load my possessions prior to a mental collapse, which included music collections etc.

I grew up with Dead Kennedy's and Violent Femmes. That second one doesnt look right...The Clash and The Ramones. My bro was into the HardOns.even Blondie was punk originally.
kato
Senior Contributor

Sex pistols yes I like them they have a pretty raw sound to me but very good same with nina hagen
I had to Google them to be sure lol
why I didn't just google punk rock I am not sure
I can't offload my music possesions thankfully as I don't actually have any
my music is all on my phone
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us