Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: All Things Sport...

My grandfather trained and rode horses and now my father trains then too. He has had a bit of succes with his horses and as much as I am happy for him I still have no interest in the industry at all. My mother and sister are really involved too so you can imagine the family conversations always revolve around the horses ...definitely puts me on the outer of such conversations but I often drift off in my own little world to cope with it.

@Faith-and-Hope Never been to a rodeo - never liked the idea of any animal being used for sport!

Former-Member
Not applicable

So its Boxing Day today! A day synonymous with two great sporting events. Firstly ... and my personal favourite ... the Boxing Day Test. For those who may not know, that is cricket at the MCG. The second event starting today conveniently during the lunch break of the cricket, is the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. What a spectacle that is, out on Sydney harbour.

So ... Who will be watching these iconic sporting events with me today?

@Zoe7@Faith-and-Hope@Former-Member@Bill16@Shaz51@MDT

Sherry

I won't be watching any today @Former-Member - it is also my mum's birthday so I will be spending most of the day with her. I do get more interested in the finish of the race as it is in my home town. I will catch the start of the race on the news tonight though - it really is a spectacle seein all the yachts beginning the race and heading out of the harbour.

My folks are heading to the cricket @Former-Member because we are in Melbourne. But I'm not a cricket type so I'll be walking around Melbourne most likely lol. Just having a look. We are off to shops today. Boxing day sales 😄 with the rest of Melbourne too 😛

The cricket will be interesting though to see how they go with it. Sydney to Hobart is good. I had relos who lived out near the heads of the city and you could watch the boats leaving.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Zoe7.  I hope you spend a lovely day with your Mum for her birthday.  Yes I was thinking of you when discussing the Sydney to Hobart.  I always like to watch the start of the race, but also the finish down there in Hobart.

But it is the cricket which is my (summer) sporting passion, so I will be watching that today. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Ha ha @MDT, you are brave to be battling the crowds at the Boxing Day sales!  Anyway I hope you enjoy that as well as pick up a few bargains throughout the day.

I envy your folks going to the cricket.  I went to the Ashes Boxing Day test about ... gosh ... maybe 12 years ago.  Had tickets to Days 2 and 3 at the MCG.  It was great.  I think it was the year Shane Warne retired.  I would go again in a flash, if I had the chance.  But I am a long long way from Melbourne.  Your lucky Sydney relos would have had a prime spot to watch the yacht's depart Sydney Harbour enroute to Hobart.

Have a good day all.

Sherry

Not a fan of the test matches @Former-Member but do love the one dayers and 20/20 - think it is because they are over much quicker. Hope you enjoy your test match viewing though - know you love your cricket - it is a bit like that with me and AFL - watch most matches every round Smiley Surprised

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh ... I'm with you on the AFL ... my favourite winter sport.  I too watch a number of matches every round then.  Not just the ones my Swannies are involved in!  I also like the One Day cricket.  The T20's are a bit of a hit and giggle, over and done with in quick time.  I like the tests because it takes time to develop,and you never know who will win, often until the final hour. Then of course ... sometimes its a draw!  Which I know a lot of people dont like.  After all how can you play a game for 5 long days and still finish with 'no result'?  I know I am going against current cricketing trends, but I am still of the old school there, tests remain my favourite form of cricket. Pure cricket, the way it was meant to be played. He he he he he ... Woman LOL

Former-Member
Not applicable

images (61).jpeg

We'll probably turn the cricket on at some stage @Former-Member. 

it really is a spectacle seein all the yachts beginning the race and heading out of the harbour. --- sure would be @Zoe7

I have been at the harbour years ago , see them come is would be great

@Former-Member, @Former-Member, @MDT

heyyyy @Bill16, do you like cricket

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us