Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: SPRING-Clean Declutter - Need Help

Things have slowed a little here but we were able to sell a box of old records to a 2nd hand dealer. Have done a little tidying in the yard.

One little declutter before going up to my parents' place was that I got together all the old feeds sacks I could find, chopped up the ones that were getting stiff or had holes in them to go in the soft plastics recycling, and stacked up the good ones at the front gate. We've occasionally had people in town asking for empty feed sacks, so I put up a post on our town's facebook page, and they were gone by the next morning. 😄

Because we were tired I didn't really get any sorting done this trip, but out of the trailerload we brought back...

-Dressing table goes into Younger Daughter's room, chest of drawers is going to my sister, two drawer filing cabinet inside somewhere (as yet undecided) and move papers into it from their current cardboard boxes.

-I've brought back some Christmassy paraphenalia that neither my sister nor I want, but I figure it will be easier to sell it on from here than to try to do so there with little or no internet.

-Some of Dad's stamp albums. Will need to go through them with Sis and decide if they're keepers, or if we take them to a dealer.

-A bunch of Dad's paperbacks, unsorted. Will keep some, sell some, possibly recycle some that are seriously junky.

-A fair portion of Dad's beloved "Phantom" comics collection. Am keeping those.

-Some of Mum's potted bromeliads and bulbs. Keeping those.

-A front grille off a classic car that Dad had in his scrap metal, and which will be a desirable item, so we'll be contacting some relevant car clubs to send that on to a good home.

I'm wanting to get together enough to have a garage sale. We've got good things in our house that have been superseded by things that we like better, so we need to find that precious mental time and space to decide which things need to move on to new homes.

I had to de-clutter & empty out my main stationary drawer (small chest) yesterday.

I sorted through, & threw out most of the huge pile of receipts etc.

That's because the drawer collapsed a few days ago, & I could not use it or open & close it. The front came off, & the bottom fell out.

I got the drawer back together - but I had no energy left (or time) to glue it.

So it's back in use, but may fall apart again (& need gluing).

At least it won't be as difficult (almost impossible) to get the contents out, next time to fix it.

There is much less in it now.

Adge

Decluttering has slowed a bit at our place as we have been concentrating on the outdoors but this week I did manage to sort and file a few more office papers. 

It was pleasing that we could have a friend stay a night in our spare bedroom.

@Over_whelmed

You will find a lot of tips in this thread - a few of us carers join in too. 

@Adge

Having a drawer break = 😬

Resultant declutter = 😀

Silver lining to found 👍

Yes I shall try to focus on those Silver Linings @Former-Member

Decluttering is always a good thing - even when forced by circumstances.

It frees up space & mental energy (as well).

Then I don't have to think of moving things, to reach something else (behind).

As I grew up in a severely cluttered house, that you could barely move in (2 hoarding parents) - clutter is a trigger, that leaves me feeling trapped & powerless.

Adge

@Adge

I know when I get a job done,  I feel I am a victor not a victim. 

Big yahoo to you for getting the papers sorted.

Thanks @Former-Member Much appreciated.

Yes, satisfaction at a job well done.

More space, yippee...

Adge

Hi. This my first post.

Just to say how motivating I find this forum.

Here I am still in bed at 9:30 am.

Living alone with no family or partner is difficult.

However, I'm lucky.

My house once resembled that of a level 3 hoarder.

I know the joy and liberation of decluttering.

So now I'm going to jump into two hours of housework.

Thanks all. Eddie1

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us