Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

I feel awful knowing this!

This morning my Mrs and I got into another heated argument. I cannot even remember what triggered it but afterwards when I went to apologize, she burst into tears and said she wanted to drop out of the course we are doing together (the diploma). I was shocked as this is the first time I've ever heard her speak like this. She said she isn't smart like me and isn't up to date with assignments (neither am I, I reminded her due to being in hospital). 

I feel really awful because I sort of encouraged her to enrol in the first place and had no idea it makes her so unhappy. We are so close to finishing the course though that I'd hate for her to drop out now.

We are booking ourselves in with a tutor as soon as this last subject is finished so we can get up to date with assignments. I love her and only want the best for her. She needs this job to secure a good job which I know she'll be happy in.

Was I wrong and am I doing the right/wrong thing?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: I feel awful knowing this!

It would seem a shame that you are both so close to finishing for her to stop now but it does have to be her decision @Queenie Maybe it is her feeling she is not good enough or smart enough to finish but she has come this far and managed to get through so that says that she is good enough and indeed smart enough. Maybe she needs to know that from you and encouraged to finish and then she has options in what she does next. It is a tough one though because I am sure your priority is her happiness. Having the tutor to help may build her confidence a bit more and hopefully she can realise that she is good enough and that her decision is not dependent on how she feels about herself but what she can achieve.

is she able to see a tutor @Queenie

can you tell her that we are behind her and she can do this xxx

I told her she has come so far, so it would be a shame to drop out now the end is in sight. I also told her if it was causing her so much angst then it probably wasn't worth it and I would support her no matter what she chose to do. She seems happier today but then again the subject of study hasn't come up. I feel for her and hope that the tutor will be able to help us.

Heart @Queenie

You are doing your best and it sounds like a good plan.

Smiley Happy

I hope the tutor will be able to help you both @Queenie. I think you have done the right thing by being so open to both scenarios playing out and hopefully that also takes a bit of pressure of her also. She may decide once you have seen the tutor that she can finish the course but if she doesn't want to continue then she has your support also and that is all both of you can really ask of each other.

I hope your partner can do it @Queenie, tell  her I know she can do this xoxo

I will tell her @Shaz51 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us