Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: How to stop pretending

Hi @BlueBay

So, you have two choices. Choices are good if you feel they are genuine choices and one or both arent obligations.

1.  To tell them. This can have positive effects or can backfire. We with mi already know the disappointment of others not understanding or not wanting to. Exposing your past is to some like ....yet  another chapter in the never ending mental saga in some minds. Our family and friends all have a certain capacity or limit on absorbing such tragic past events that we have experienced. It isnt their fault they are limited but we have to be mindful that it isnt easy for them to understand and  have super patience. 

2.   To not tell them. That  is ok if you have the mental strength to fight the mi battle within yourself and with your professional medical staff/psychs so as to protect  your family from the hurt and endurance  they need to maintain on going mi discussions. Supporting people with mi doesnt come easy for some.

The mask. We with  mi often  talk badly about using a mask. Yet a mask is a useful tool. It  enables us to survive in our world. Without it we'd be totally ourselves and that simply doesnt work. Many people without any mi also wear masks as they want to keep their true person a secret due to, maybe trust issues. Either way @BlueBay either  decision is the right one. Tell or not to tell. What is important is what you are seeking/hoping/expecting from such a decision.you'll only be disappointed if you have expectations of others reactions.

If you have a family meeting to tell your loved ones and you stipulate that you are telling them of your ordeal you have had so as to get it off your chest and you dont expect anything from them except maybe a little understanding and tolerance  with moods and sadness then you'll be fine. 

If you vhoose not to tell them and rely on your therapy then you are isolating your problems and thats going to shield others from it but they are going to be left in the dark.

Whatever decision you take feel ok that you have the right to make the choice. Neither choice is "wrong".

Thankyou @Whiteknight

for your reply. I still don't know what to do. I need to think about this a bit more. Maybe I will talk about it eith my psychologist as well. 

I appreciate your comments. 

BB 

You're right @utopia it does take time. I will talk to my psychologist. So far she has been very good in what she does. And like @Whiteknight said there is no wrong choice. 

BB xx

@BlueBay I have read through your thread, and though I have nothing helpful I can add, I want to let you know I'm listening and hurting with you. If you can, move slowly. 💞💞

Thankyou so much @Maggie

❤️BB xxoo

Its hard @BlueBay

I dont see it as a yes or no situation ... or tell or dont tell 

We have both shared about issues with child trauma and mothers who cannot cope with it and add fuel to the fire of our suffereing ... and reject us ... 

I guess feeling like you are pretending is different to have a strong face but not pretending ... if you know what I mean ... 

I would allow little bits out in a way that YOU feel good about your management of yourself .. ie .. that you are not being false to yourself ...

,,, it is also up to family if they pick up cues ...

Take Care Bella

Thankyou @Appleblossom

It's a tough one but I think s little bit at a time is good. I think things are changing towards hubby. 

@Maggie@Whiteknight@utopia@Dearprudence9

I have a feeling that hubby knows a bit more recently. He has been asking me weekly how my sessions have been. And I've told him the truth how hard they are and how upset I've been. 

Msybe now he will start to understand a bit more. 

I hope so @BlueBay. It would be good to have your man by your side.💜💕

@BlueBay. It's good your hubby is asking how the sessions are going. Does he know any of the past traumas?

@utopia

Yeah he does know about all the childhood sbuse and who they were. But not all the explicit stuff that went on. I can't tell him. It's too hard.

He doesn't know I've stopped my meds at times or thst I'm not eating properly. Though at the moment I'm eating. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us