Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Mon0497
Contributor

How to access reports

Hi all, 

I am new to this forum.

My daughter is currently under an assessment/treatment order in a public hospital.

She has been in a private facility for six weeks and as she continued to deterioate they where telling her to "snap out of it" and "you can control the voices"

They ceased medications, started new ones and commenced TMS all within four days, in her last week there. No wonder my beautiful girl ended up under a treatment order. 

I am feeling very frustrated about that experience and may take it further.

What I would like to access however is her reports such as her MRI, EEG etc. I know I would need an FOI for the pyschiatrist's  notes but am just wondering if I can access simple things like bloods and radiology without one. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to access reports

Hi @Mon0497,

First of all, welcome to the SANE Forums! Smiley Happy I apologize that it has taken a little while for you to receive a response.

I am so sorry to hear about what your daughter experienced in the private hospital. It is completely understandable that you are feeling frustrated and are thinking about taking matters further. It sounds like changes to your daughter's treatment approach happened so quickly, which left you feeling uninformed and powerless in her recovery - this leading to your daughter's condition worsening. Again, I am so sorry that your family had to go through this experience.

In terms of gaining access to her blood and radiology results, I wanted to know how old your daughter is? If your daughter is over 18 years-of-age, this complicates the matter of gaining access to her results in terms of privacy and confidentiality - I get the sense she is 18 years or older? However, if your daughter is under 18 years-of-age, or you have Power of Attorney or a relevant Guardianship Order, then you may be able to access such reports more easily.

For more information about what your rights are, given your unique situation, it may be worth contacting:

Mental Health Legal Centre
1800 555 887 
Tuesday 6.30pm to 8.30pm and Thursday 6.30pm to 8.30pm, EST

www.communitylaw.org.au/mhlc/cb_pages/the_legal_centre.php 

The Mental Health Tribunal (the Tribunal)
1800 242 703 
mht@mht.vic.gov.au
https://www.mht.vic.gov.au/

I hope these resources are somewhat helpful for you! If you need any support, or feel it would be helpful to share your experiences as a carer to your daughter with the forum community, please feel more than free!

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Thank you 

My daughter is over 18, I will contact the groups you have suggested.

I am still distressed about her experience but the good news is she is now recovering quickly due to the correct medication.

After nearly two months of hospitilastion she will be home next week.

I am now worried about how to find a psychiatrist to see her as the very professional clever team she has as an inpatient at the moment cannot see her as an outpatient.

She has been diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder, I can't seem to find an Australian group/foundation specifically for this diagnosis.

I know you can't reccomend individual doctors but any guidance would be wonderful.

Thank you for your reply

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Mon0497

Schizoaffective disorder is where a patient shows symptoms of both bipolar and schizophrenia. 

The symptoms of these can be readily found on the internet.  There are support groups for "hearing voices" as well as both bipolar and schizophrenia. There are support services such as Wellways that provide family education too. The hospital will probably have a number of information leaflets about these. 

If your daughter is cooperating with you - the best otion is to make you her nominated person - you need to sign and witness a form. Then you have legal rigts tor request any info about her.  And while she still cooperating with you - make sure she also signs Advance Statment to make sure she can't cancel the nomination when she becomes unwell.

Also read about carers recognition act 2012

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us