Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

67-63
New Contributor

Hi new member here from Brisbane

Hi

looking for some assistance.

2nd marriage for me and my wife and we have 5 kids between us, youngest is 23 and still living at home with mental health issues.

He refuses to take medication at times, does not attend Skype appointment with a health professional to discuss issues and continually blames his mother for his issues.

His mother is bending over backwards to assist him doing 150% care and supporting him always, he has not held a job, thinks that he will just keep living here not contributing to the home upkeep and treat his mother as he likes. He has done drugs since year 10 and hopefully off them now. He just bums around home, no friends, goes walking constantly at nights, and continually goes in and out of the house during the night, usually every 15 minutes from bedroom to outside and then back into his room.

Me and the wife have asked him to get some support from Centrelink in a payment and he refuses to do that.

He is not working and has not for 4-5 years. When he did work it was for a week here and there then he would quit.

Where do we get support?

Its a cycle of fights between he and his mother, threats to kick him out, his continued refusal to keep his medication up to date, missing medical appointments, missing dental appointments to repair teeth , he refusing to contribute to costs for food and bills and it really is a constant drain on us.

Help

1 REPLY 1

Re: Hi new member here from Brisbane

Hi @67-63   Welcome to the forums.

We are doing an online support this week. I just wondered if joining in might help.

5 Day Online Event! You Are Not Alone - Crisis Advice for Family, Friends & Carers 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us