Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sally7
New Contributor

Depression in new relationship.

Hello everyone,

I am so grateful to have found this forum. Reading your stories has already brought me comfort. After about 6 months being with my new partner he has suddenly stopped getting out of bed, answering phone calls and messages and participating in life. He's not even going to work. He is still eating and I don't believe he is suicidal, which is obviously a huge relief but I'm really struggling to understand how to help him? It is so early on in our relationship I'm not sure how to navigate this and am feeling horribly isolated. It does not help that I suffer from anxiety myself. My partner doesn't seem able to communicate anything right now so trying to navigate this with him feels impossible. He is generally incredibly stubborn which seems heightened right now. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on how to talk with him? I'm trying to be patient and encouraging without being overbearing but it is so easy to become deflated myself. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Depression in new relationship.

Hi @Sally7 , firstly I just want to say welcome to the SANE forums!

It's great to have you here and thanks so much for telling the community a bit about yourself.   I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection   I'm the moderator this afternoon.   

Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be a pretty useful in understanding how it all works  https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines

Also, I can hear it might be helpful to talk to someone about your situation and if you feel like speaking a counsellor, the SANE Help Centre might be an option too.  It's open Monday - Friday 10am-10pm on 1800 18 7263. 

Take care and again, it's great to have you as part of the forum community🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us