Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Depression Dementia Dad

IMG_20180804_184237.png

YIKES!  Just booked dad into RESPITE (residential care), for two weeks AND talked him into seeing it as a good thing, as a temporary measure while I go empty my house.  He even said "I mght like it and want to stay there" I told him "its an option if he likes"  Oh my heart's racing, I'm shaking. Trying mindfulness to settle myself, the mind is racing (anxiety really high), need support.  So much to do. Help! lol. @Shaz51   @Appleblossom.    @Former-Member    @Determined    @Owlunar   @Faith-and-hope,  @Smc,,   @Outlander, anyone interested ... 

BREATHE @Former-Member you were worried he wasnt going to take it well at all. it seems like a postive step that hes at least accepting the respite

Big breath my friend @Former-Member and a nice cuppa ,

one step at a time , step by step , at the moment he likes the idea, could change his mind but for now 

We are with you all the way xoxo 

Wow @Former-Member - this is a huge thing - no wonder you are biting your nails

So this is something to deal with one thing at a time - how long will it be before he goes into Respite Care? What will  you do if he decides to say?

This is all a big deal - 

We will be here to help you the best we can - I understand - this is so much to have happen and scary

Life is never certain and you have had a lot of changes in a short period of time

As much as possible I will be here for you

Dec

Thats terrific news. @Former-Member I hope he does like it.

Its sometimes so weird when things go right, but I know you need your wits about you as there is heaps to do.

WTG ... Keep letting us know how you are going

Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

IMG_20171126_182725.png

@Appleblossom @Owlunar@Shaz51@outlander & all. Appreciate you all here, those just folpowing and the this a we who type, having my feelings validated and offering great suggestions. Thank you!

I'm sitting in Dr surgery w/room for dad atm, routine stuff really, then rush rush!  Dad jylust said he'd like barber while here, oh well 🙂

Made a list of TO DO's this next 3days - oh my goodness 😕

Hi @Former-Member

You have so much to do and remember - write into lists and cope with Dad who has his own ideas - and you respect this - I think you are doing a fantastic job

And how great it would be if your sibs had any idea of what you do - but they don't and the weird thing is that they are all jealous of you and imagine you are having fun with Dad - which would be okay btw - but it's harder than they think - harder than anyone would think - harder than I would know

And they want your position - not your job - 

Well - get Dad to the barber and take it easy while you wait before the rush - rush - rush

Btw - is it hard to move Dad along when you are out with him?

Still here with you Lapses - I went for my walk today - the weather is sunny and mild but windy - we have had so much wind here lately

Have a coffee and read a magazine while you waitHave a coffee and read a magazine while you waitDec

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you Dec, and all, its not too hard to move dad (unless on an escalator - I nearly lost him on one last week using the wheelchair 93kg.

I'm sad right now, just left dad for his first night in aged care 😞 boohoo! 😞
About to tell the brothers 😞 help!!!

@Former-Member big hugs Heart

hugs @Former-Member HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us