Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Tight-Control
Senior Contributor

The Existential Crisis and Bi Polar.

Hi All, I am seeking some chatter / adviec on how you cope with an existantial crisis through the lens of Bi-Polar. I cuurently have a near overwhelming dread of dying. I have seen my GP got some anti anxiety meds which slowed my heart rate to 58bpm. GP was good and carefull not to " provoke a manic phase". I have stopped the meds as they made exercise to difficult includingwalking up small inclines hey it made playing golf very hard . I have refferal to a Pschologist for the death/dying thoughts. But I was wondering if anyone else was in the same head space or had been here before. I go from " i don't care I am an imortal god " to " I will cease to exists as will the entire universe including even dust. " Basically I just want any practicle tips on helpng me through this phase.. Cheers all.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: The Existential Crisis and Bi Polar.

@Tight-Control Hi Tight-Control I have schizo affective disorder. I was firstly diagnosed with Bipolar 1 manic type and I would go through stages of having out of control thoughts. I must admit I never worried about dying it was always the other way around if you get what I mean. 

I think it is about time you got back to your gp and asked for a referral to a psychiatrist to be properly assessed. The psychiatrist will probably sugggest you see a psychologist as well (this is what has happened to me and I am thankful for it). I also have a medical nurse who I see once a week who is brilliant and really helping me. I am really happy that you have reached out for help here on the forums. See you are greenpea

Freud wrote somewhere, that in the first half of life we think of is sex and in the second half of life, the death wish becomes prominent.  I see that stuff as part of the human condition.

Get what help you need by talking to the best people who give you sensitive and appropriate responses,

Take Care

Thanks folks,

i got the referal to a psychologist. She can fit me in in November..

YAY....lucky I dont have too wait.

Thankyou for your tips and thoughts.

Re the Freud quote...unfortunately this has been around in my head on and off since i was about 10..broke the 50 this year so still hanging in there..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us