Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Memory and Depression

My memory and  cognitive  function have been really bad due to my MDD. so when my depression  left 1 month ago,  I thought  my memory would  come back.  But it hasn't. 

How long til I start seeing  improvement in memory and cognitive function again? 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Memory and Depression

Hi @utopia.  I have similar problems. Alcohol hadnt helped my memory, but ive noticed even when im sober i have poor cognition.  Diet can affect my memory too...if i cut out sugar and wheat the head clears up a bit. 

@Zaphod Yes I've  noticed  alcohol doesn't  help.  But I never thought about  diet in that way. I just though now that I'm  eating regular  healthy meals and getting decent  sleep,  that my brain memory should  have been better  by now 

Hi @utopia, I find the same with my memory living with MDD, and I try to help myself by doing crosswords, word games, sudoku - basically anything like that that requires me to use my brain. It does help but I need to do one of the above daily to maintain any improvement. Lumosity is a wonderful brain training app too. 

All the best.

Thanks  @Kamikaze. I'll  look up the Luminosity Ap. I like Sudoku too. 

No worries! Let us know what you think of the app. Did you know they have a Sudoku using letters instead of numbers too? I only came across those ones recently. 

I’ve noticed my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. It’s worrying me. Maybe I should start doing some crosswords or brain teaser app. 

I found my memory wasn't as good as it formerly was during deep depression and sometimes following it for months afterwards. It was like a brain fog. However returning to studying has helped my mind become a little sharper again. I doubt I'll ever be as good as I once was, but at least I'm functioning again. I felt the cogs slowly working when I was using my brain to do assignments and apply knowledge I'd learnt. I guess neuroplasticity is the aim of the game @utopia. I also use luminosity's activities and also brain training games on my Nintendo 3DS.

@Queenie. I'm not eligible to study  at the moment.  And I have a heap of Aboriginal History study books to read - but my cognitive  function isn't  working well enough to read those books yet.  Only simple novels. 

You'll get there in time my friend, don't give up just yet @utopia. x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us