Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Hyperventilation Verses Panic Attack

Thank you @utopia, @Former-Member, @SleepyPanda Heart for all your comments

For the Lady who we work for , found it very hard too watch and she just didn`t know what to do

any suggestions on how she can help when she sees this happening again when heis at her place

@Shaz51 - the best thing for her to do would be:
* tell him he's safe. That it's okay.
* in a calm voice tell him to slow down his breathing.
* she breathes loudly the slower breathing, so he can follow her rhythm.
* keep reminding him he's safe.
* sit with him.

This works for me. I'm not as frightened when someone is with me. But I do not like to be touched during the attack.

thank you @utopia 

I will let her know Heart

But I do not like to be touched during the attack. -- yes this is where his little sister was touching his head through it

That's a good list @utopia. I hope you are feeling okay now.

Adding to what utopia said @Shaz51 - once your friends grandson calms right down, it would be good for her to "encourage him to talk about what is troubling him and to address the issue gently" - just by her listening to him (not her talking too much, just for her to listen and to validate his pain, fear and worry letting him know someone cares). If he feels he is not alone and safe, feels trustful enough to open up - the road to healing may commence.

Also for him to have a full medical and revise his lifestyle to ensure nothing is medically wrong that could be causing the panic. Hope he feels better soon.xx

thank you @Former-Member Heart

yes it was a bit scary for her for a while

she kept ringing the boys father to come and when he did come , the father and son had a big talk and then he was right again but she still does not know what it was about

Your welcome @Shaz51 It was a good thing that the father came and he had someone he could open up and talk to. Good to read this helped him settle (he would of felt safer) 😊 Panic attacks are no joke

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us