Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Wonderingsoul
Casual Contributor

Does anyone else with BPD experience this feeling

I still remember the first time I felt it, even though it was 15 years ago.

I had just disclosed to someone for the first time that I was self harming. And when they responded with caring and concern I felt this intense physical sensation. I don't know how else to describe it. It was somewhere behind my belly button. And it felt SO good. And it was addictive. All I wanted was to feel it again. For a while just replaying the conversation in my head was enough . But it didn't last long. And that was the start. From there my behaviour escalated. I would do anything just to feel that feeling again. 

I have always been scared to share this with anyone because I don't want to perpetuate the stereotype that people with BPD are 'just attention seeking' 

But I'd love to know that I'm not alone in this...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Does anyone else with BPD experience this feeling

I know exactly what you mean, mine does not manifest itself in the same way, I dont self harm like you r describing as I tend to self destroy myself....but I do things in such a way that I garner the desired response from the ones that I crave the comfort from. But thats the rub isnt it, thats all we know, thats how we taught ourselves to gain comfort....we know no other way! Through hard work, self compassion, being open minded and determination we can learn what and how to feel those emotions as well as the best way to express them. Dont worry I have not been able to learn this either, and I have been in a constant loop for 4 weeks trying to gain that very response I so desperately crave, from someone that emotionally checked out on me months and months ago. All of these things I know, what I dont know is, why I continue to do it

hello @show_me_gray, @Wonderingsoul and welcome to the forum

In the search the forum, when you put BPD in there , it will show all the threads with Bpd in there

I will have a look and tag you there

@Determined

@Shaz51 thankyou and hello to u 2

Hi @Wonderingsoul @show_me_gray

I just want to respond to you both. As a child of a BPD parnet in denial you both are tackling your illness with questions and that has to be commended. Well done an dI hope you find your answers. That's what its all about, exploring and asking.

WK

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us