Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: self care -- Food, Salt , Sugar , Water

Understanding your frustration re the 'just loose weight' @Shaz51 

Current gp has explained to me recently that it is to do with my liver function why I put on weight even when I eat less. (No one has ever explained that to me before or even noted that my liver function is not right despite it being out for a very long time). The solution for me has to be eat more but different and less often. Not that we have too much unhealthy food in our diet. My problem is depending on mood and stress levels I vary between forgetting to eat to grazing so my metabolism is all confused. Now I am supposed to only eat 3 meals a day and only water or herbal tea in between. Breaks in between meals is suposed to give my liver a rest. 

On the lunch menu today is pumkin soup and scones. That is always nice and well recieved on a cold winter day. 

hugs @Determined Heart

the gp I saw was new in town and he said to me " has any of the doctors told you hat you have diabetes as well , -- i said no , he was really upset with that

I have regular blood tests and kidney appts , infections , aches and pains , arthritis  ect and they say "oh it is just because of your CKD

wonder how long did i have diabetes , and found out the diabetes were feeding the bacteria which causes infections

pumkin soup and scones.-- yummm @Determined Smiley Very Happy

My GP was also dismayed that no one has ever followed up on my liver function tests @Shaz51

She is very thorough. She also has a good understanding and empathy around mental illness which is hard to find. 

saw my usual gp I see on thursday @Determined, she as been away for a while

She is very thorough too and now i have a care plan in place for this year and then she is  now going to see how my emotional wellbeing is

and then she asked how Mr shaz and my mum was going -- wow

I love Asparagus @Shaz51

I have the opposite problem, & it's not a good thing.

I've been very under-weight, for the past 3 years (since bowel surgeries).

I cannot metabolise my food properly, despite taking probiotics every day (for past 3 years).

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, directly caused by the surgeries - or by having has bowels disconnected (with stoma & bag) for 6 months.

I have trouble staying hydrated, get easily dehydrated often - probably because it goes straight through.

A trip back to the dietician (not seen for several years), may be in order.

I probably need a lot more carbohydrates, as I don't get enough energy from the food that I eat - my diet is fairly low in carbs.

Adge

yes it can be hard to find the right balance @Adge

my mum is  back home again and she has to be on a very low fibre diet , she is  very under weight too and lacks energy due to this diet

sending you knowing hugs Heart

try to eat more carbohydrates, @Adge, even if it is little bits , I am trying o get my mum to do that , at the moment i buy her cake with no cream or icing

Cake sounds like a good incentive @Shaz51

Potato & pasta are really good for carbs.

I've upped my pasta & potato consumption (a bit) in recent months - it seems to be paying off.

Adge

Oh dear @Shaz51 - i think exercise & low carb is the main lifestyle change for you. Even if u dont lose weight it will slow it down.  Its not fair. Give yourself time  ❤❤❤

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us