Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

@Smc

Does 20 weeds out = one new plant in?

😄 That works @Former-Member.

I bought quite a few packs of flower seeds today - cheap and cheerful - something to throw in after a patch has been weeded. 

I weeded out the front end of the bed beside the driveway today, and piled the weeds on the bed on the other side to start smothering the ones there.

Haven't exactly decided what to plant there yet, and I want to re-do the edging before I do. I have wondered for some time about putting together a bed of "invisible edibles"- plants which can all be picked and eaten one way or another, but which people wouldn't usuallly recognise as "herbs" or "vegetables". That  might be a good place to do it, as a bit of public education. 😄

@Smc

A bed of invisible edibles = 😀

@Former-Member, these are some of the possibilities. All edible, but most people wouldn't know it. 🙂

Chilean Guava in flower- gets little red fruit.Chilean Guava in flower- gets little red fruit.Dahlias. Roots can be eaten like potatoes.Dahlias. Roots can be eaten like potatoes.Hostas. Young shoots are yummy. In Japan you can buy them in the supermarket as a green veggie.Hostas. Young shoots are yummy. In Japan you can buy them in the supermarket as a green veggie.Shiso aka Perilla, a Japanese herb.Shiso aka Perilla, a Japanese herb.Society Garlic. The taste without the garlic breath.Society Garlic. The taste without the garlic breath.Wild Ginger. A North American wild plant with gingery roots.Wild Ginger. A North American wild plant with gingery roots.

I am actually more motivated and inspired with gardening around our new house. There is a big drainage ditch in one corner that is mostly unusable then on tv last night on one of the fix and flip home shows they built a rain garden. Now my mind is racing what can I do down there.  This afternoon I even spent 1/2 an hour weeding out back while supervising one of our dogs settling in to his new yard. (He has been away until now). I can actually see myself out in the garden more now which will be great for self care time. 😁

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Time

This is the carer garden thread

@Smc
It certainly does 20 out 1 in love it

@Time

Do you like growing fruit and veg? Flowers? 

@Determined a rain garden sounds like a practical solution

@Smc have you seen any miniature yellow pear shaped tomatoes about? Think I got one many years ago in a punnet of four seedlings at Bunnings which had a DIggers Club label on them.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us