Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Looking after ourselves

Faith-and-Hope
Community Guide

POETRY TO HEAL BY .... πŸŒ·πŸ’•

Hi everyone 😊

Me again ....

Taking another example from our courageous achievers on the Lived Experience side of the forums, I have taken the plunge to start a poetry thread in support of carers as well (thanks for the inspiration @Carri πŸ˜)

Here's my first one ....

Of THORNS & THEIR ROSES

Shards of sharp memories cut like thorns.
Thorns grow on rose bushes, and they grow green.
They can't win !!
Green is the colour of new life.
The ground bursts forth with new life.

It breaks the ground to burst its way through,
but when I touch the green sprouts,
They are soft.
They bend under my finger tips.
They pierce through the ground but then they bend and sway in the wind.
They grow soft.

Rose bushes grow thorns
But they grow flowers too.
The flowers burst with colour.
They burst with scent.
They capture the sun and grow colour and scent
Perfuming the whole garden.

Thorns can't win.
We won't let them.
On the backs of thorns we will grow flowers
And perfumes,
And a beautiful garden.
We will win.
We will grow strong in this garden and we will win.

πŸŒ·πŸ’œ  F&H

14 REPLIES 14

Re: POETRY TO HEAL BY .... πŸŒ·πŸ’•

Beautiful @Faith-and-Hope

I went to a poetry lounge tonight in the CBD so that I feel like an adult.

That would be interesting @Appleblossom .... 😊 .... nice to hear they are around.

I booked a series of 3 sessions where a poet is interviewed and their books are available and we get a free wine.  Ahh to be a grown up. 

"JUST A NURSE"

> I have helped babies into the world, many of whom needed assistance to take their first breath, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have held patients' hands and ensured their dignity while they take their last breath, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have counselled grieving parents after the loss of a child, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have performed CPR on patients and brought them back to life, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I am the medical officer's eyes, ears and hands with the ability to assess, treat and manage your illness, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I can auscultate every lung field on a newborn and assess which field may have a decreased air entry, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I can educate patients, carers, junior nurses and junior doctors on disease states, prognoses and treatment plans, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have been a lecturer in a school of medicine, teaching medical students how to perform a systematic physical examination of a patient, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I am my patients' advocate in a health system that does not always put my patients' best interest first, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I will miss Christmas Days, my children's birthdays and school musicals to come to work to care for your loved one, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I can take blood, cannulate and suture a wound, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I understand the anatomical, physiological, and psychological differences in every age group of children, and the relevance this has on how we care for them and treat them, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I can manage a cardiac arrest in a newborn, a child or an adult, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I can tell you the dosage of adrenaline or amiodarone based on weight that your child may need to bring them back to life, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I provide comfort, compassion, emotional and social support to patients and their families in their darkest times, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have worked 12-hour shifts without a toilet break or a cup of coffee, to ensure that the best possible care is given to my patient, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have been screamed at, vomited on and urinated on, but I will still come to work and do my job, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> I have the experience, knowledge and competence that has saved and will continue to save people's lives, and yet I am just a nurse.
>
> So yes, lovely acquaintance in the corner store, if I am "just a nurse", then I am ridiculously proud to be one!

by Caitlin Brassington

@Appleblossom - I love it ❣

@Former-Member - Wow ❣  That is so powerful ..... and searching it up, it's gone viral on the Internet ....PTL ..... cos it would be really, really good if that "just a nurse" comment disappeared from our vocabulary ....

❀️🌹

Too often we speak out belittling words even over ourselves. When someone asks: What do you do? Are you working? All too often we reply - "no, I'm just a stay home mum" or "just a housewife" "Just a full time carer" ... ...
We forget how vital our role is, how important we are - to our family, our community - dignity, life, and love. We are NEVER 'just' a carer..
As a stay home mum, I developed the habit of referring to my role as: 'domestic goddess'

@Former-Member

I'll have to remember to say that in future .... I always look for an alternative to the "just a housewife" tag ..... and it's the most hilarious thing watching others trying to carry the "just a housewife" role when the "just a housewife"
is temporarily incapacitated ..... !! πŸ˜†

Love the little hugs you send me across the day .... fanx so much ..... 😘🌹❀

Hello @Former-Member

what you said is very very true,  We do  forget how vital our role is

We are NEVER 'just' a carer..-- I love this xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us