Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Income while the person you are caring for is in hospital

Hi @Bella1978, ok to ask I don't mind 

Yes that is what happened for me, after hospital days were used up then the respite days were used.
If you are going in and doing things for your mum then classifying hospital days is unlikely to be a problem. It was a grey area for me as despite visiting daily I was not tehcnically doing anything for my darling while she was there.

For us they also took off the days (didn't use hospital or respite) I took my darling out even if it was only for a couple of hours as hospital / respite is for each 24 hour period. (Same helpful chap worked that one out for us). 

@greenpea

haha ... love your avatar! always gives me a chuckle 🙂

things arent improving with mum unfortunately luv but thank you for your thoughts *mwah*

how have you been ??

xxx

@Determined

thanks heaps for the information ! it honestly didnt even occur to me about mum being in hospital and how it would affect my carers pension until i came across this thread.

and yup, i am going in and doing things for mum whilst she is in hospital, and also while im not at hospital, ie getting her stuff from the shops, paying bills, doing her washing, etc

so much to think of sometimes! lol

but i will calculate how many days mum has been in hospital and take it from there...

how is your darling? and how are you??

x

hi @Carerofpotsie

you certainly sound like you have your hands full. ive never heard of those illnesses, can you explain them to me? and thanks again for starting this thread!

just a tip - when you respond to someone - just insert the @ in front of their name - that way we get a notification that you have left us a message.

Yes basically the best way to think of it is what is meant to happen automatically is slowly failing and will need help at the moment my child has a heart that needs help to stop form going to high. For him just sitting up results in a heart rate of 130 plus with meds. So it’s like his sister has no breaks plus the heart pumps so fast at times the blood doesn’t get a chance to reach the brain so he has kinda like mini strokes . Sadly the lack of blood supply has effected the stomach which has resulted in a partial paralysis of the stomach. Which means it takes longer to digest the foods consumed resulting in deficiency’s in most things.  And the stomach no longer works the way it should.  So the primary condition is the heart issues which also cause my son to faint and black out upon standing and if standing for any length of time some days even sitting will have the same result. That is an explanation of the pots and gastropresis. Then there are the side effects of the meds to control some of the heart issues and stomach issues which results in forgetfulness and nausea which we then have to use anti nausea and pain meds as the pain from the heart and stomach cane become unbearable at times.  I do hope that explains some of those conditions 

@Carerofpotsie

thanks for the explanation, wow so much going on for your son. how old is he? do the docs know what causes his heart rate to go so high? it is very frustrating though when you find a medication that helps the condition but causes side effects that you then need other medications to counteract those side effects! has your son had these conditions since birth?

It is the autonomic system failure this was caused by a bad reaction to a prescribed medication at 13 years of age. 

He is 18 now
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us