Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Focussing on the positives-

Just for some context, this is Martin Ashton before his accident.  This story is one that I came across some time ago and was an inspiration to me at the time. 

Martin Ashton Road Bike Party

This is Martin Ashton telling his story in a Ted Talk

Martin Ashton- Ted Talk- In disaster there is opportunity

My positive for today,

After lots of nagging I finally managed to fix S1s bike tyre and the boys and I went out riding.

(Bub sits on a seat in front of me, similar to pic below). Even though it was only around the culdesac the boys enjoyed it a lot.  I do need to get a new helmet for bub though. He has grown a lot since we last went riding and his helmet no longer fits.  We have a couple off longish rides planned for when children start holidays. Short drive away there is a nice beach ride that the boys enjoy so it will be a day trip for us all. 

Been a while since I visited this thread but seems like a good time to focus on the positives at the moment rather than get weighed down by everything going wrong. 

Positive for today went for a family walk. Despite little people being initially uncooperative we all ended up enjoying ourselves. Saw a family of these little guys at the local park. 

20180929_162035.jpg

20180929_162136.jpg

I was surprised at a student lunch today at uni with a couple of recognition awards.

That was unexpected...

20181002_213954.jpg

Was also touched by the comments of the person presenting the awards.

Have been feeling a little down so this has given me a small boost in confidence. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

images (52).jpeg

Thinking I need to revisit this thread again as some dark clouds roll in for our family.

For context and for those not following my story my mum inlaw is terminally I'll and... 

I will start off with saying how grateful I am for the relationship I have with my mum and Dad inlaw. Even before darling and I were romantically attached they invited my sister and I into their family when were living far away from home for university. Since we have been married mum inlaw especially has been a huge support and rock for me through many ups and downs. I am also grateful for our new living arrangements that will enable us to better support dadinlaw. 

Something positive for this week...

I already mentioned this in another thread but thought it is a positive so belongs here also. 

My mum and I are planing an extended ride on our bikes later this week. I have a proposed route mapped out already and starting to get a bit excited. Seems mum is also ☺

Just hangimg out at the moment for some helmet intercoms to arrive in the  mail so I can fit them up. It makes the riding so much more enjoyable when we can communicate. We did a trial run with phones and basic wired hands free and it worked great till the signal dropped out. The  dedicated helmet system should work so much better. 

Positive for today...

My helmet com unit came a day early in the mail. Mine fitted up and charging. Mum dropping by tomorrow so I can fit up hers 😁

Should have had it this morning but fil collected the mail and took it with him to visit mil out if town. He forgot about it until later tonight lol. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us