Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TJ
Casual Contributor

What comes next?

Hi all

Firstly, I hope my message find you well.

I am not sure what to do, I have PTSD and MDD and have been seeing my Psychiatrist and Psychologist for over two years now, and have been on various forms of medications. I have followed all forms of treatment to the letter.

I used to function as a senior executive and now cannot focus for more than a few minutes 😞

I have zero motivation to get up and do things, my wife is fantastic in supporting me and motivating me to do things, I just cannot seem to get around to doing anything.

Each day feel more and more hopeless, I will be speaking about this with my doctor next week.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has found anything useful? I have been researching the benefits of N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) which is illegal in Australia. There have been reports of some people with PTSD and/or MDD receiving 10 or 20 years worth of Psychotherapy in a few days. Too good to be true?

Any assistance is appreciated.

TJ

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What comes next?

I am not in favour of med only treatment.

A lot would depend on the causes and how effectively they are treated. @TJ

Its extra difficult when you are used to high achievement.

Glad you have a supportive wife.

Take Care

@TJ. Many things can help with depression and PTSD. But a lot has to do with the trauma that brought this on  & how long ago the trauma was.

I had a trauma at work that resulted in PTSD. Around a year later I had EMDR Therapy (eye movement disorder reprogramming). It was really successful for me. NO more struggling with panic attacks.

I've read a few articles about certain 'drugs' & mental health. I'm not convinced yet. As a lot of the 'research' I've read have been very small studies. Some with 6 people. Some with 20.

Until studies are done with larger numbers of people and the full list of pro's and con's are listed, I'd be cautious about trying this type of 'treatment'.

Hi @TJ

Sounds like you've been doing all the right things to look after yourself and to reach out for support. Everyone has different treatment needs depending on their illness and life experience. There's a whole lot of information out there on treatments for mental illness and it's always good to raise any queries you have about potential medications or therapies with your treatment team. How did you go with the doctor?

Motivation can be a real struggle when you're living with depresssion too. If yo're intereted in learning more about behavioural strategies for depression you might like to check out this link

Hope things do start to improve in time with the right support. Take care @TJ

Thank you Margot. I have been offline for a while as I have been and unfortunately still am quite low in mood, and feeling withdrawn.

@Margot wrote:

Hi @TJ

Sounds like you've been doing all the right things to look after yourself and to reach out for support. Everyone has different treatment needs depending on their illness and life experience. There's a whole lot of information out there on treatments for mental illness and it's always good to raise any queries you have about potential medications or therapies with your treatment team. How did you go with the doctor?

Motivation can be a real struggle when you're living with depresssion too. If yo're intereted in learning more about behavioural strategies for depression you might like to check out this link

Hope things do start to improve in time with the right support. Take care @TJ

Hi @TJ,

I just wanted to let you know that Margo has left SANE. I'm really sorry to hear things have been challenging for you lately. Make sure you reach out on the forum and to your supports in this time while that low mood is making itself known.

Take care JG

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us