Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

soul
Community Elder

The Walking for Wellbeing Thread

Following on from the outstanding success of "The Great Yoga Adventure Thread", here begins one that may appeal to a larger sector of the Sane Forum population. Although I have started it in the Lived Experience side, anyone is welcome to join us as we put one foot in front of the other and walk to improve our mental and physical wellbeing.

I hope you will accompany me. Here we can talk about how, when, where and why we walk. It's a place to discuss our progress and share what we see along the way.

Walking is my thing. I love it. I do it in several ways. During the weekdays, I get up early and take a brisk walk usually stopping in along the way at the supermarket to pick up some groceries. Around mid morning, I take my dog for a stroll. Then late afternoon, I walk to and from a yoga session. Lastly, at night, it's another walk for the pooch.

On weekends, I like to go a bit further afield and discover new stuff. I often take photos as well during these walks.

I use an App on my phone called Pacer which monitors the distance and steps that I walk. I do a minimum of 10 000 steps each day. Some of you may be more high tech and have a Fitbit or equivalent.

Walking01x640x400.jpg

483 REPLIES 483

Re: The Walking for Wellbeing Thread

@Maggie @Shaz51 @Mazarita @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member @utopia @Phoenix_Rising - come along to this new thread and bring your friends.

4.7km today ..... some of that incidental exercise..... all of it slow ..... 😏

Slow is better than no go @Faith-and-Hope. Was that to the coffee shop and back? Hope you didn't blow that effort with a decadent treat 😉

WOW @soul that's a lot of steps. I did get myself in a system some months ago, but a move to a new flat interrupted that. So far I've done two walks hoping for improvement. My little fur ball is very nervous out walking, she likes to be carried, working on it. Happy walking.

Hi @soul, great that you have started this!

I too like walking. In fact, aside from the poses I'm doing with the yoga thread, walking is my only real exercise. My walk of choice in along the shoreline of the beach near where I live, Pacific Ocean by my side. I walk barefoot, water lapping. I've been doing this walk, usually a few times a week, for the past three years now, since I moved into this flat.

I have arthritis in my feet, tendonitis in feet and lower legs, and other physical health challenges. So it's usually not physically easy to do this walk. On a very good day, I can manage about 3-4kms walking in total. Other days, it's more like 1-2. That's my pace for now, not sure if it will improve greatly because of the physical limitations. I also struggle a lot with getting myself out of the flat in general, which means I sometimes don't walk as much as I intend. I'm here to help find more motivation for my walks and to (virtually) do it in a group with others.

To kick things off nicely, I have been for a beach walk today. It was a short one because I was struggling hard, probably about 1.5kms. Days when I walk, even a short one, always feel better for it. Wishing everyone well in the walking journey!

image.jpeg

thank you for tagging me @soul Smiley Very Happy

I only did a little walk today as I have had a  lot of discomfort today with my hiatus hernia

Yes, to the coffee shop and back @soul .... and no, didn't blow it ..... 😏

Yay for starting a walking thread @soul and yay to @Maggie for suggesting it. I super need to limit my time in Forum Land a bit so I'm afraid I probably won't be joining this adventure. However, I think it is an awesome idea and will benefit lots of people. Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us