Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Dark_Olena
Senior Contributor

Please help me with side effects

Looking after my wellbeing has come to this point. I cant do it the way Ive been doing it. I have awful intrusive thoughts and they give me depression and escalating anxiety to the point of dread and panic. I have started ssris my first ever anti depressant and I'm 53. I get the impression I'm not allowed to talk about my medication on this board which is too bad because  I know very little about side effects, today is my 2nd day as I took my first  last night at 8pm. I feel slightly out of body and mind  and shaky on the inside. I cant go on without some medical help I've been struggling with anxiety and depression since I was 14. I am having trouble with my sons partner as she has a control issue and has problem with the word 'no' and now she is withholding me seeing grandchildren. Life is really terrible right now. I ask myself why do some people have such a hard rotten time of life and some people have so much love support and bliss from start to end.

I only said 'no' to more childminding as my adult daughter is on the autism spectrum and I support her and am her carer, and I was not going to cancel her therapies and programs to do extra childminding.

I hope my post doesnt vanish because I mentioned I need support on side effects of anti depressants.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Please help me with side effects

Hi @Dark_Olena a lot of anti-depressant side effects ease after a while, though it can take weeks. Side effects seem to be very individual, but given this is the first time you've taken the medication, it's not surprising that it's a bit of a shock to the system. I think the rule of thumb is give it 6 weeks.

Do you have a good GP? If you have ongoing trouble with medication it could be worth getting a referral to a Psychiatrist because psych meds are their thing, and they have a much more nuanced understanding. In my experience they are also more prepared to make changes.

It's hard when you're down and then feeling really out of whack from the medication side effects. Try and look after yourself by taking care of the basics - sleep, exercise, healthy food. Even small steps can help you build a bit of momentum. Take care.

Hi @Dark_Olena,

Sorry to hear you are really struggling with your son's partner and these unpleasant side effect sensations on top of that. It's great you've come on tonight to get some support with your side effects and getting a bit of context for what you should expect. I'm sure other forum members with have had similar experiences. 

I wanted to hopefully be helpful in clarifying some of that confusion around the guidelines for talking about medication. What you have written is completely fine - discussing medication in general terms such as 'antidepressant' or 'SSRI' is fine, it is only specific medications and dosages that would breach guidelines aiming to keep the forums safe for everyone. They can be found here

Take care tonight, 

Tortoiseshell

Yes, Thankyou @Tortoiseshell. I realised one of my terms got my post rejected but couldnt figure why the second time and then realised in mod email. I put in a dose figure and thats why.

Thankyou @frog for suggestions. My dose was last night and still feeling strange though I'll be taking another soon. I got this prescription from a gp who barely understands mental health. I have read side effects on some reviews and will seek a psychiatrist.

hi @Dark_Olena

ive had many different side effects from the medications ive tried.
a suggestion from me would to have a look online to see if its is a common side effects (of course each individual varies but it can give you some indication) the symptoms your describing here (slightly out of body and mind as well as shakiness inside) is what happens to me when i dissociate so i know its not a side effect from my medications.

if you type into google the name of your medication a few sites will come up with doses, side effects etc just as abit of information. healthdirect and nps.org are 2 site i use to do searches on mine so perhaps they might help you too.

perhap use a symptoms journal to find out if your having it all the time, when it happens and if it subsides with coping mechanisms and also the inensity of the symptoms. some side effects start to reduce afer a week or so once its into your system..

hope this helps...

Hi there @Dark_Olena, I've been on my current medications a very long time (years). I do remember however what it felt like when I first began then. One of my medications is a SNRI antidepressant and when I first started it for about 2 weeks, I felt sort of floaty and shaky (like a feeling like I was getting small electric zaps here and there through my body). I sort of think it was feeling as if I wasn't quite in my body so to speak. It passed after 2 weeks although, if I forget to take a dose I have those feelings again for a few hours after I remember to take the tablet again.

I remember when I reported how I was feeling to my psychiatrist, he said how I was feeling was pretty common when starting a new antidepressant. 

One thing he did say to watch out for was a worsening of your depression, as some antidepressants can even heighten suicidal and self harm feelings. If you feel worse, it is important to seek medical help ASAP.

Take care and I hope you are feeling much better soon! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us