Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Medication Trial

Hi everyone

@NikNik if this is not allowed pls delete. 

tomorrow I'm starting a medication clinical trial at a major hospital in Melbourne. My psychiatrist referred me to this trial as it could  help me with BPD depression and menopause. It's a 3 month trial. Tomorrow's day one do it will take  2 1/2 hrs doing blood tests, physical examination, hormone blood test, physc questionnaires and brains scans. I will then be given either the medication or the placebo. I then will be contacted weekly to see how I'm going and if any questions. On week 12 I go back into hospital and re-do same tests as tomorrow. Apparently this medication has been used for alzheimers for years and have niw been found it is helping patients with my type of illness. It is no cost to me at all. 

Im looking forward to seeing if this medication will help. Once the trial is finished I then get to see the professor in women's mental health who will guide me in which way to go with regards to meds and hormonal issues. 

I'll let you all know how tomorrow goes. 

Im scared nervous but also a tiny bit excited. 

BB 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Medication Trial

Good on You @BlueBay for getting involved. 

Hope it is helpful to you as well as the researchers!

Smiley Happy

@BlueBay Good luck BB. Will be thinking of you and wishing you well. Love the pea xxxx

Thsnks @greenpea

I an actually feeling really anxious 

need to calm myself down 

Thsnks @Appleblossom

i will let you know how today went later. Feeling sick in the stomach 

@BlueBay dont worry you will be okay. We all will be sitting there with you 🙂 xxxx

Hi @greenpea@Appleblossom

well interview went well. Lots of questions. They accepted me to be part of the trial. So I go back next Thursday fir 3 hours. Blood tests, more in depth trauma childhood questions (not looking forward to tthat) but this is so the professor csn get a better idea of my story. 

I also have to do a cortisol saliva test st home and bring back next week. Thst will be interesting. 

Hubby is about to pick me up and we might go to the city for lunch. 

@BlueBay Well done BB I am so glad that you were chosen for the trial that is fantastic :). Will be very interesting to see what comes out of it all. I hope it all helps. Enjoy your lunch with husband 🙂 🙂

@BlueBay. WOW what a great opportunity. I hope it helps.

I'm glad to see more studies/research into MI & Menopause/Hormones.

Just got s phone call - can't do trial because they spoke to my doctor and he told them I have chronic depression and I've got a lot of allergies to medications. They knew about my allergies. 

Im sngry brcsuse I wasted 3 1/2 hrs last week. I'm annoyed because nothing will help snd niw I'm even more depressed. 

I hate my chronic depression. Chronic means long time so I'll never get better 

I'm just a hopeless case

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us