Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

kristin
Senior Contributor

Encouraging Quotes

Hi all,

This is something else I'm quite keen on, in fact I tend to collect them and write the best ones into the inside covers of my yearly diaries to help remind me to take heart in the dark times. I hope you will share your favourites too please.

So to kick off here are two of my favourites:

"I wish I could show you, when you are lonely or in the darkness, the astonishing light of your own being." Hafiz

(And... I can't find Thomas More's Care of the Soul for the other one - so the verdict is in: I definitely have too many books and need to get rid of some! I will find it and post the quote at a later time.)

Here's another in lieu 

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Cheers, Kristin

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Encouraging Quotes

I have a confession to make :-). I went to another op shop today and bought more books - I'm definitely a little bit manic (so a very quiet day for me tomorrow). Anyway I found another copy of Thomas More's Care of the Soul so here's the quote:

"Care of the soul observes the paradox whereby a muscled, strong-willed pursuit of change can actually stand in the way of substantive transformation."

Cheers,

Kristin

Grow has a lovely piece of program called Universal Benefit "Each person's recovery or growth aids in the transformation of the world."
It is one of my favourite quotes as it encourages an optimistic and positive view of people and our community 😄

I love finding the quotes (especially amusing ones) online.  I have them as my wallpaper and screen savers on my computer and it's amazing how often I sit down and see something that is perfect for the moment.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it annoys enough people to make it worthwhile.."

"We met for a reason; you're either a blessing or a lesson."

"That which does not k-ill me had better run pretty damn fast!"

"Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow."

Sorry, have to share this.  I used a bad word and the response has given me a laugh to start the day.

"you used a bad word k-ill in the body of your post.  Please clean up the body before posting."

Former-Member
Not applicable

IMG_2904.JPG

I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks @kristin for starting it, and @Former-Member @JT @Alessandra1992 for those words! I love Maya Angelou's poem but it's a bit long for here...

One for all of us @greenpea @soul @outlander @CheerBear @Faith-and-Hope @Zoe7 @Mazarita @Ant7

Image result for still i rise

How about this one @frog ?

"There is nothing stronger than a broken woman who has rebuilt herself."

by Hannah Gadsby

@frog ❤

I love Brene Brown and anything to do with our 'stories'.

images (7).jpeg

Love it @Mulgajane

@CheerBear Brene Brown is wonderful! 

Thanks both of you

Thank you @kristin for introducing this topic. I do love words! 

I must now look up Hafiz, for I am unaware of who they are.

And of course Einstein is right. I am constantly struggling to feel that I have achieved in a world that does not value my contribution.

And as for Thomas More; he could have said it in layman's terms if he wanted everyone to understand, but I entirely agree, one cannot force spritual growth. I find it especially true when facing my addictive habits. Using will to change me not only fails, but often creates a dam effect that only leads to more use or even an eventual catastrophe.

My favorite quote is the only one I have found that seems to describe the treasure I discovered through redemption. As it is almost impossible to describe things of such a purely spiritual nature, it is a rare find for me.

“The only true wisdom,” the caribou wizard Igjugarjuk told the explorer Rasmussen, “lives far from mankind, out in the great loneliness and it can be reached only through suffering. Privation and suffering alone can open the mind of a man to all that is hidden to others.”

@Allesandra1992 @frog @CheerBear @Former-Member @JT

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us