Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Wanderer
Senior Contributor

X

X

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Diabetes - Stress - ?

Its a good reason to start a thread. @Wanderer We know so much more about food these days.

My gf levels were deemed low and alright at 16 .. and high in high 20s. I had to care for her for a week, so had to oversee the daily charts and injections etc.

Maybe your doctor does not want you to stress overly as you have enough other things to worry about.

One of the gorgeous stories about my son. We were out a few years ago at a l book launch, and he politely asked me what the white stuff in the glass bowl on the table was. He was in his 20s. We never had white sugar in our family pantry.  It was one thing I am still pleased about, though of course, they had treats.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Wanderer 

edited to add:

1. T1 and t2 diabetes are quite different and require different approaches.

2. Your fasting glucose readings don't seem to be worrisome. What I find concerning from my own experience are the effects you are experiencing, which I have been able to alleviate for myself. 

As with everything medical, seek your doctor's advice, which it sounds like you're doing. Maybe press him/her for more detail about why they think it's not an issue though, as it's obvious there are concerns for you with it. 

Given they are having you do the finger pricking regularly, there's something they are wanting to keep tabs on and you are due that explanation, at least, in my opinion. 

Blood sugar levels (BGL's) are affected by lots of things, your medications could be part of why they monitor the daily BGL's, as could the health of your organs. (No need to go into details, this is your own private matter)

Vitamin C in highish doses will also affect BGL's. I had to reduce my Vit C in take because of this. 

Also: not all medical practitioners are up to date with the latest diabetic information - there is much misinformation out there. 

I was diagnosed T2 about 5 or 6 years ago, after a few years of being pre-diabetic. The information available then was appalling in it's inaccuracy. 

My last two years of three monthly HBA1c tests have been below 5 so I am no longer considered officially diabetic. BUT, I have to keep to my carb content regimen with a little bit of leeway or my feet, and other parts of me, pay the price the next day. 

It is pure bloody mindedness and the realisation that the burning foot pain I have been subjected to for years, and which is now under control while I maintain my carb regimen, can be alleviated that keeps me diligent. 

Tests for neuropathy were negative, yet all the symptoms were there. Capsicasum ointments were mostly useless. Then there was the vision stuff as you describe, the lethargy, the need to 'sleep it off' and the mental fog. 

I researched world wide for information and found how carbohydrate control of each meal can be effective. Diabetics had reversed their condition in some cases. I figured I'd give it a go for lots of reasons. 

It took effort. 

Taking, and recording my BGL's before every meal and 2 hours after each meal, with nothing else eaten in that time. Recording what I ate, the carb & calorie content.

I was told to eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain BGL's.  I now know not to go without food beyond 5 hours or things get silly.

It took about a couple of months before I noticed that where I could keep the carb content of each meal/ snack below 47carbs per meal, the other symptoms were no longer there. If I was diligent and kept my carbs under 47 per meal/ snack all day, my feet did not burn the next day. 

My then gp, and the diabetes nurse I had then were very angry with me for doing this as it was not the chosen medical method, but I persevered, with each HBA1c testing lowering and lowering, until the gp ranted that if I kept going like I was, I would no longer be diabetic and I should stop what I was doing. 

To me, the whole point was to try to actually get better. So I changed doctor. 

Now, I keep my carbs under the 50 per meal/ snack on a regular basis. I do splash out, but I try to be thoughtful about it. I also removed all potato and it's family members from my diet (except for the sometime chillies). 

This is how I made it work for me, it maybe won't work for everyone. It's not easy to do, until it is for whatever reason that makes it worth it. Not having burning feet is a real motivator for me. As is the reduced headaches, the reduced mental fog and the reduction in general aches and pains. 

There are many foods that are completely bypassed: soft drink, alcohol, juices, prepackaged pretty much anything. I make most of what I eat from scratch with adapted recipes.

I read every label, diligently due to allergy and hidden carbs. Sugar is not the  MY enemy; carbohydrate in any form is (MY enemy).  (I took it as a given that I was speaking about myself in this sentence.)

Edited for clarity: @Appleblossom 

I've probably gone on for too long, apologies if so. 

If you have any questions, I'm more than willing to try to tell things from my experiences. 

X

X

Shaz51
Community Guide

Hello @Wanderer,

with my CKD stage 4 , i am borderline Diabetes , they say I will have diabetes next on my list because of the kidney -- i have only 1 kidney working at 24%

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thinking of you @Shaz51  - there must be lots of things you have to do to manage your health situation. Heart

X

X

X

X

There is usually more than one enemy re food.  @WandererWe are just too complex a species in too complex a habitat.  We are more prosperous these days so carbs seem to be the new baddy, or is it glutein or casein??? It seems that "Personally Developed Medicine" is the way to go for those who can manage it.

@Former-Member a gp really said that to you re no longer being diabetic ... lol

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yep @Appleblossom he did.

It was explained to me later by the practice manager that his ire at me getting better was because he/ they would not then get the government subsidy for my additional sessions with the extra care nurses etc that they could claim for. 

He was moved on from that practice shortly after my complaint and the claims made on my behalf through the relevant government agency were investigated.

I know this because I was contacted by the agency as to whether or not I had recieved that amount of care. I had not. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us