Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Comfortable therapy

Hi all, 

So I was talking to a friend today who suggested that maybe I should change therapist and honestly I don't know what I should do. Here is why,

I have a wonderful psych she has helped me alot but despite seeing her for almost three years I am still unable to talk about alot of what happened to me as a child. I have told her the basics which I have even put up here but I still have stuff I have not told anyone

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Comfortable therapy

Hi @Former-Member,

I'm wondering if you might be able to broach that feeling of being unable to talk to her about some of the things you mentioned. It could be helpful for you to let her know there might be some resistance there in you to go deeper.

I'm keen to know how others on the forum may have worked through these times where there's a bit of a plateau in their sessions, where there might be either some fear or concern or some hesitation in opening up the dialogue further for support.

Has anyone else go their own experiences to share?

Re: Comfortable therapy

@Former-Member. I'd  let your  psychiatrist know  that you have lots of things you haven't  told her/him or anyone else and you are wondering  if you'll  ever be able to talk about these things with anyone.  Tell her your fears of disclosing.  I think this could  open up a really deep and trusting conversation between you both. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us