Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Books that distract us

This is what i have just started reading last night 

http://www.leechild.com/books/tripwire.php

interesting @Bubbles3, is it good

Yeah @Shaz51
Former-Member
Not applicable

HI @NikNik - i love the HP books too and have reread them when i need a distraction. Im also a fan of David Eddings books, especially the Belgariad series.
@Phoenix_Rising if you like the gruffalo (also a fav of mine) you might like another of Donaldson's books called Zog. Its very sweet and has a great message, i may be using it in my teaching stuff at the moment.. but reading picture books to my class is my favourite thing to do and i love all the books too 🙂
I often find it hard to find concentration to read anything and have to force myself to read all the stuff that i need to read for study/work. so i like to reread old favourites more and more than find anything new..

Oooh thanks for that @Former-Member. I am super super struggling at the moment, so a new story to listen to at bedtime will be super helpful. Hey @CheerBear, thanks to lisajane we have a new story to listen to together-but-not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LZmPIQmssY

A little while ago, I read a young adult fiction book by Jennifer Niven called All The Bright Places. It has some darker themes, like youth mental health and suicide mentioned in it, but mostly it's a book of hope... at least that's what I thought. I thought a book aimed at teens would have absolutely no affinity with me, but I found it a page-turner. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

The novel "The Lovely Bones" was a fantastic read for me offering a nice escape. Although the main character's demise is a bit heavy, the theme throughout being the endurance and power of love seeking justice and healing that prevails over evil - being perfectly entwined with the thrill of the chase lavished with the supernatural on top - made it hard for me to put this book down. A great read and enjoyable distraction from the mundane taking me on a mystical journey. Loved it and not surprised it made the best sellers list.

These are the books I've been into over the last couple of years:

"The Secret series" by Rhonda Byrne (one of the first 'self-help; books that made sense to me)

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill

"The Life Changing Magic of not Giving a F**k" by Sarah Knight (an absolutely hilarious read if you don't mind the potty-mouthed author)

"The courage to be Creative" by Doreen Virtue (my latest read) 🙂 

Hello @sunshine2 Smiley Very Happy

Hi Shaz51
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us