Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

About to start a clinical trial on new medication

Hi @Faith-and-Hope @NikNik @Former-Member @Zoe7 @Shaz51 @utopia and others reading this:

I am about to start a clinical trial on a new medication.  The medication has been used on patients who suffer from alzeihmers for the past 10 years.

My psychiatrist knows the professor who is conducting this trial and also is in charge of womens mental health.   She is in the city and part of a major hospital.  Apparently this medication is very good for people with BPD, depression, and childhood abuse.

It is a 12 week trial.  Week one, which is next Tuesday i go into the city at a major hospital and have some tests done, be examined physically by a doctor, answer questions, have blood tests and then given the medication.  I and the staff won't know if i am having the real medication or a placebo.  then week 2-11 i receive a 15 min phone call, i guess to see how i am travelling.  Then week 12 i go back into the hosptial and have the exact same tests as week 1.

At any time I can stop the trial, if i have any side effects I can also stop.  After the trial I then will have an appt to see this Professor who will most likely (if things go well) put me on the new medication.

It sounds all exciting and possibly and hopefully a change for me.  I saw my psychiatrist today and he sounds positive that it would work.  Once on the new he will take me off some of my other ones.

Today he prescribed me another medication to help with lowering my weight.  It is used for diabetes but can also help with weight loss.

I am also going back into hospital for a break in the beginning of April, after Easter.  He wants it planned and wants me to work out what I can do while i am in there.  I will have a chatg with my psychologist and we can come up with something to do.

It will be interesting to see what happens and how i feel after the 12 weeks.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: About to start a clinical trial on new medication

That sounds really good @BlueBay ..... controlled hospital admissions periodically ...., and the trial sounds exciting. I hope it’s really good for you.

That sounds really good @BlueBay, thanks for tagging me and will be thinking of you everyday xxx

That sounds really positive @BlueBay. I hope you get the new med and not the placebo.
Would love to hear how you go during the 12 week trial. Fingers crossed

Hi guys
Not doing trial now. Apparently the professor said I'm taking 5 psychotic meds and you can only take 4. And two of them belong in the same class. So that makes me ineligible to do the trial.
So now I have to wait 4-6 months to see the professor.
I'm a bit upset but it is what it is.
I'm now put on a med for diabetes to help with weight loss. Saw my psychiatrist and he prescribed this new med. see how it goes.

Oh well done @BlueBay .... you have taken that so much in your stride.  I hope the new diabetes med is really helpful for you .....

💐💕

I emailed my psychiatrist and told him about the trial. He asked me to email the research assistant and get her to email him the reason why. He said we can poss adjust my meds for me to be eligible. Watch this space !!! 😊

My fingers and toes are crossed for you @BlueBay. I hope everything goes in your favour.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia (NT), MIFA(NT) is a non-government organisation providing services for people living with a mental illness and their carer’s and families. 

Image credit to Louise Denton Photography

Contact

2/273 Bagot Rd,
Coconut Grove, NT 0810

PO Box 40556,
Casuarina NT 0811

P: (08) 8948 1051
Freecall: 1800 985 944 
F: (08) 8948 2473

Emailadmin@mifant.org.au   

Follow Us